Juicy chicken with crispy skin, made easy in the air fryer!
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 4 lb whole chicken (see note for best size)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Begin preheating your air fryer to 350°.
- In a small bowl, mix together kosher salt, lemon pepper and garlic powder.
- On a large baking sheet, rub whole chicken with olive oil. Then, sprinkle all surfaces with spice blend. Truss the chicken using butcher's twine.
- Place seasoned chicken in preheated air fryer, breast side down. Cook for 30 minutes. Open air fryer and flip chicken over. Increase heat to 400° and cook another 10-15 minutes. Chicken is done when meat is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Let chicken rest 10-15 minutes before carving. Carve chicken into sections and serve warm.
Optional Pan Sauce
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When chicken is resting, pour the chicken drippings from the bottom of the air fryer into the pan. Add about a cup of chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes, until reduced by half.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Dip one tablespoon of cold butter in flour to coat it, then drop it in the pan. Stir together, off the heat until butter is melted.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and return pan to the burner. Cook about a minute more, until sauce is just thick enough to stick to the back side of a spoon.
For the best results, dry brine your chicken beforehand. To do this, make sure the chicken is thawed completely and remove from packaging. Discard any gizzards or items stuffed inside.
Pat the chicken very dry with a paper towel. Place the chicken on a wire rack and place the rack above a large baking sheet . Set everything in an open space in your refrigerator. For the best results, let the chicken sit in the open air for 2-3 days. However, as little as 4 hours can make a difference.
Dry brining your chicken allows the skin to cool and dry out as much as possible. This primes the skin for maximum crispiness and really gives you the best tasting chicken.
See the chicken size guide in our post for a guide on selecting the right size bird for your air fryer .
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Roasted Chicken, Air Fryer Chicken, Air Fryer Whole Chicken