Bagels made from scratch and topped with yummy pizza toppings, baked to perfection! Yum!
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water (heated to 115°)
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
- 3.5 cups bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- .5 tsp onion powder
- .5 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- .5 tsp salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 oz mini pepperonis
- Combine water and instant yeast and stir together. Let sit for 15 minutes to activate.
- In stand mixer , combine water/yeast, bread flour, salt and sugar. Mix with dough hook for 8 minutes to knead. Move to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 90 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Lightly deflate dough with hands and transfer to a clean flat surface. Cut into 16 equal sized pieces. Roll pieces into dough using a cupped hand against the flat surface. When rolled into a tight ball, poke a hole through the center with your fingers. Using both index fingers, spin dough for 6 seconds to create a nice hole. Place on baking sheet and cover with damp kitchen towel. Let rise for 15 minutes.
- Fill a large pot about halfway with water and add honey. Bring to a boil. When boiling, add about 3-4 bagels at a time and cook for one minute. Gently flip the bagels and cook for one minute more. Remove to a paper towel to soak up extra moisture. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 and place rack in upper third of oven.
- Beat 1 egg white with a Tbsp of water and brush over all exposed areas of the bagel. Place baking pan in oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until bagels turn a nice golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Combine sauce ingredients (tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, pepper and a pinch of salt) and stir together.
- Lay bagels greased side up on a large baking sheet . Place a spoonful of sauce on each and spread to edge. Add a pinch of shredded mozzarella and again spread to edge. Next, lay pepperonis flat on top. Place in oven and bake for ten minutes, until cheese barely browns. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Freezer option: If freezing, make the bagels up to the point where you top them and place on a baking sheet. Place in freezer for 30 minutes, then remove and place in a ziploc bag. Keeps well for up to three months. To reheat, cook at 375° for 12-14 minutes, or until cheese has begun to turn golden brown.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pizza, After School Snacks, Homemade Bagels