Sausage and bacon in a milk-based gravy over buttermilk biscuits. The ultimate southern breakfast food.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 strips Thick Cut Bacon, chopped
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk, give or take
- salt and coarse ground pepper, to taste
- 8 Grands Buttermilk Biscuits, frozen
- MAKE BISCUITS: Preheat oven and begin baking biscuits according to directions on package.
- COOK MEATS: Heat a pan with high sides over medium heat. Melt butter then add thick cut bacon. Cook until bacon is brown and just crispy. Add in bulk breakfast sausage and shallots. Mix together, breaking the sausage up into small bits with the end of your spatula. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink.
- MAKE GRAVY: Add flour to pan and stir into pan drippings. Cook for two minutes to toast flour, continuing to stir. Now, gradually add in milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir first three additions until soaked up by the flour and become thick, then add the next. When you add the last, whisk in and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer and add salt and coarse ground black pepper, stirring everything as you go. Simmer for 15 minutes, continue to stir, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan as you do.
- TO SERVE: After 15 minutes, remove pan from heat. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Spoon a generous portion over biscuits and enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Southern Food, Comfort Food, Family Breakfast