If you were like me, you were raised on various forms of casserole. Whether it was tuna, chicken or noodle, some form of casserole was always in our rotation. But casseroles can easily become bland plate fillers without a dose of creativity. That’s where this Curry Chicken Broccoli Casserole recipe, with video and step-by-step instructions is here to save the day.
You start this recipe with the basics. First you’ll prepare some fluffy white rice, steam some broccoli and pan-grill some chicken breasts until brown. Once that is prepped, it is time for you to whip up the secret weapon – your curry cheddar cheese sauce – which when mixed in with your prep ingredients really adds some spice into this casserole dish. Whether you’re a curry newbie or a curry veteran, you’ll walk away from this dish in amazement of what the flavor that’s packed into this dish.
Personally, we’re kind of curry newbies. My wife’s pallet is a little less tolerant than mine, so I wasn’t sure how she’d react to curry. When she liked the curry dip at Melting Pot, I figured it was time to give this a shot. The moment I sold her on the similarities this would have to that dip, she was sold and never looked back. She loved this dish – as did the teenager and our little two-year-old – a true fan favorite.
Serve this with your pick of steamed vegetables – such green beans, brussells sprouts and a dinner role or nice slice of fresh baked white white bread.
A couple of pro tips to not forget:
- The chicken will finish cooking in the oven, so feel free to slightly under-cook it in the pan.
- Make sure to let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting it into cubes, or else you’ll lose all your juices
- Broiling it at the end adds the brownness to the top – which really takes infuses a nice texture and brings the curry out even more.
- I line my casserole dishes with greased aluminum foil, which makes clean-up a cinch.
Curry Chicken Broccoli Casserole
This isn’t your mama’s chicken broccoli casserole. This Cheddar Curry Chicken Broccoli Casserole recipe takes casserole to the next level!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 cubs cooked rice
- 8 oz steamed broccoli
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Pound chicken breasts until they are 1/4 inch thick
- Brown chicken breasts for 3 minutes on each side in a grill pan. Set aside
- Dice one medium onion
- After chicken has had 5 minutes to rest, cube into about 1 inch chunks
- Melt butter in a small sauce pot
- Add onions and cook until soft
- Gradually add and stir in flour. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Continue to simmer until it thickens to a gravy like texture.
- Add sour cream, curry and cheddar cheese. Stir and continue to simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- In large casserole dish, combine, chicken, onion, rice, broccoli and curry cheese sauce. Mix well in pan.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes
- Then, broil on high for about 5 minutes, or until top has browned.
- Let sit 5 minutes, then serve!
- Category: Dinner, Main Course
- Cuisine: American, Carribean, Indian
- Calories: 552