Not your average hot dog! Wrapped up in a fluffy, airy bagel and baked to golden perfection, bagel dogs are an awesome new way to cook the dish your kids all love!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1.75 cups warm water (aim for 105°)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp vegetable oil
- 12 hot dogs
- 2 tbsp honey
- kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 egg white beaten with water
- In a stand mixer, combine water, sugar and instant yeast. Let stand for 15 minutes to activate yeast.
- Add half the flour along with salt and vegetable oil and mixing using a paddle attachment on your stand mixer. Mix until it forms a thick sludge. Replace paddle attachment with dough hook. Add in remaining flour about a half cup at a time. Dough is ready when it pulls away from the side and forms a ball. Continue to knead using dough hook for about ten minutes. Dough should be smooth an elastic and finished. Move dough to a lightly oiled boil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest until doubled in size, about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Press dough down with hands to deflate slightly. Move to a lightly floured surface and divide into six equally sized pieces. Roll the first piece into a thin strip about a foot long. Cut strip in half. Lay hotdog on single strip at about a 45° angle. Roll hot dog along the strip so that it wraps evenly around the hot dog. Place dough seam side down on parchment paper and repeat until all dogs are rolled. Cover with a towel and let rest 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Season water with honey and kosher salt. While this is happening, preheat your oven to 375°. Place about 3 bagel dogs at a time in boiling water. Boil for one minute, then gently flip over. Boil for one minute more. Carefully remove with wire basket or large slotted spoon. Place on pan with paper towel to soak up extra water. Repeat until all dogs are boiled.
- Place dogs on a greased baking sheet. Brush with egg white wash and sprinkle with kosher saker. Place in center of oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the bagels are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Category: After School Snacks
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Kid Friendly Meals, After School Snacks, Hot Dog Reciepes