Chicken, broccoli, bacon and cheddar cheese rolled in dough for a perfect stromboli. Chicken and Bacon stromboli - great for pizza lovers!
- 15 oz pizza dough
- 12 oz precooked chicken
- 1 head broccoli
- 8 oz cheddar cheese (shredded)
- kosher salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 5 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Toss broccoli in olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast broccoli for 10 minutes, until it barely crisps. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon by placing it in a cold pan on the stove, then turning the pan up to medium heat. Bacon should cook in about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate and place in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool. Reduce oven temp to 400°.
- Chop broccoli into small florets, place in prep bowl. Dice bacon into small pieces, place on plate. Chop precooked chicken into small pieces, place in prep bowl.
- Cut dough into 4 equal sections. Roll each piece into a long rectangle, about 8 inches wide and 5 inches tall. Dust the cutting board lightly to help ease rolling, if necessary. Place the dough for topping such that the longer side of the rectangle is at the bottom nearest you.
- Begin topping by placing a healthy pinch of cheese out and spreading it in a thin line about an inch from the bottom of the rectangle. Next, spread chicken on top of the cheese, then bacon on top of that. Now, add broccoli florets on top of bacon and top with another pinch of cheese.
- Carefully fold in the ends of the dough so it just covers the toppings. Then, slowly begin rolling the dough, beginning at the bottom and working your way up. Roll the toppings tightly, pressing the dough in with your fingers as you roll. You should end up with a log shaped roll. Repeat with other 3 pieces.
- When all pieces are stuffed, brush them lightly with egg white. This will help the dough to brown properly when cooking. It will also help the kosher salt to stick, of which you'll sprinkle lightly on now. Score the dough by cutting two small, thin, diagonal slits along the top. Place the strombolis onto a large greased baking pan, with at least an inch in between for spacing. Place in the center rack of the oven and cook for about 15 minutes. Strombolis are done when both top and bottom have turned a nice golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Slice in half and serve.
For time purposes, pre-cooked chicken is the way to go here. You can go a couple of routes. Maybe you have some leftover from a previous chicken recipe. Often, I just buy a pack of the rotisserie chicken breast from Costco's deli area. It's good meat, easy to use and comes at a good price. I also go with the pre-made pizza dough, but from the bakery at my local grocer, not from a can. For me, that local grocer is Publix in the southeast US, but a lot of other stores offer it as well. Publix even has a pre-rolled one available for 50¢ more. It's worth every penny for the time it saves you.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 stromboli
- Calories: 781
- Sugar: 2.8
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 42.7g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Trans Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 44.1g
- Cholesterol: 141.4mg
Keywords: Stromboli, Chicken and Broccoli, Family Dinner