Corned beef is my favorite St. Patrick's Day recipe. My preference is for a nice, sliceable brisket. I'm also a fan of doing it in a quarter of the time. A few easy steps and a couple of hours is all that stands between you and perfectly cooked corned beef. Finish it with some awesome traditional veggies like carrots, cabbage and potatoes for Irish stew perfection!
- Place your corned beef in a large bowl and submerge in water for 24 hours.
- Begin cooking two hours prior to serving by turning Instant Pot to "Saute->More". Cut an onion in half and slice into half-moons. When Instant Pot display reads "Hot", add 1 tbsp olive oil and allow 30 seconds to heat. Add onions and stir in. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of beer to Instant Pot . When it simmers, use a spatula to scrape up any fond that's now on the bottom of the pot. Turn Instant Pot to "Keep Warm".
- Pour in remaining beer, pickling spices and a half cup of beef broth. Top onions with trivet /rack. Remove corned beef from water bowl and place on top of trivet , with the fatty side of the corned beef facing up. Close lid and set Instant Pot to Manual->High Pressure with timer at 85 minutes.
- While Instant Pot is coming to pressure, peel your potatoes and cut into equally sized wedges. Place cut potatoes in a bowl of cold water and let let sit covered for for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove potato wedges from bowl and pat dry with a paper towel. Add potatoes to a mixing bowl and toss with garlic powder. Place your potatoes onto a greased pan and spread out evenly. Place pan in center of preheated oven. Cook potatoes until golden brown on the outside and fork tender on the inside, about 40 minutes.
- When done, remove potatoes from oven and place in bowl. Toss with parmesan cheese and parsley and a dash of olive oil.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add thinly sliced cabbage and garlic to pan and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5 more minutes or until cabbage is wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
Finish and Serve!
- When timer has gone off on corned beef, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes. Release remaining pressure (if any) and twist off lid. Remove corned beef brisket to a pan and tent with foil. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Slice corned beef brisket against the grain in about 1/4 inch wide slices (about the width of a #2 pencil). Spoon onions from instant pot using a slotted spoon and spoon over top of brisket. Serve with potato wedges and cabbage alongside.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Irish, St. Patrick's Day
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 791
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 40g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 50g
- Cholesterol: 21g
Keywords: Irish Recipes, Instant Pot, Corned Beef