Super beefy flavor, tender beef and onions with provolone cheese on a baguette or hoagie roll perfect for dipping!
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lb chuck roast, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 cups unsalted beef broth
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 10oz can french onion soup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 8 oz gruyere cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute: More. When display says "Hot", add vegetable oil.
- When oil is shimmering, add chuck roast chunks to pot. Do not overcrowd the pan and work in batches, if needed. Let beef sear undisturbed for 2 minutes, then flip them over with tongs. Sear the beef on all sides until well browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove beef to a pan. Pour in unsalted beef broth, worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and french onion soup. Close lid and make sure vent is set to "sealing". Set Instant Pot to Manual: High pressure 35 minutes, then allow 20 minutes for a natural release.
- Flip vent to "venting" and allow any remaining pressure to release (if any). Carefully open lid. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer beef to a large heatproof bowl. Shred beef using two forks, pulling them in opposite directions. Preheat your oven to 350°.
- To make your au jus, turn the Instant Pot to Saute: More and add in sliced onion. Cook about 5 minutes, until reduced slightly. Turn off heat and let sit. After a couple minutes, spoon into individual dipping bowls.
- Slice open a hoagie rolls and sprinkle shredded gruyere cheese on each side. Spoon in a generous portion of beef and spoon out some onions from the pot. Wrap the sandwiches in aluminum foil and place in the oven for 5 minutes to warm through.
- Serve sandwiches unwrapped, alongside dipping bowls of au jus. To eat, dip the sandwich in the au jus and eat. Have napkins handy, this is as delicious as it is messy!
This recipe contains affiliate links
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 85 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot French Dip, Roast Beef Sandwich, Easy French Dip recipe