New Orleans Gumbo is a cajun-like stew. This version, made with chicken and sausage, is perfect for the Instant Pot .
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 rib celery (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1 lb raw andouille sausage
- 3 tbsp cajun seasoning (I used Tony Cachere's)
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 green onions (diced)
- 8 oz fresh okra (thinly sliced)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel. Season with cajun seasoning, salt and pepper on all sides. Place on a pan and into fridge. Dice onion and set aside. Chop bell peppers, celery and minced garlic. Add to a bowl together and set aside. Slice okra into thin strips and set aside. Dice green onion and place in fridge.
- I suggest cooking your sausage ahead of time and letting it cool. I make sous vide sausage the day before, then place it in the fridge overnight. Then, I slice it at a 45° angle and place it in a bowl and back in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a cast iron pan, whisk together vegetable oil and flour. Place in oven and bake for 90 minutes, stirring with the whisk every 30 minutes. Roux should be a nice deep milk chocolate color when done.
Sear and Saute
- Set Instant Pot to Saute->High. When display says "HOT" add olive oil, then chicken thighs. Make sure not to overcrowd pan and cooked in batches if necessary. Cook for about 5 minutes, until chicken is no longer brown. Remove to a pan.
- Add sliced andouille sausage to pot and cook for about 3 minute on each side, allowing it to brown slightly. Remove and set aside. Next, add diced onion and cook for one minute. Pour in oven baked roux and stir together well. Add bell peppers, celery and chopped garlic. Cook while stirring for 4 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and cajun seasoning and stir together well. Cook for one minute then deglaze with one cup of chicken stock. Add in your worcestershire sauce and remaining chicken stock and together well. Return andouille sausage to pot and stir in. Lay sliced okra over top of mix, then cover with cooked chicken, pouring any pan drippings in as well.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual->High Pressure for 7 minutes. Set the vent to "venting" and close and twist the lid, then set vent to "sealing".
- When timer goes off, allow gumbo to naturally release pressure for a 15 minutes (meaning don't touch it!). If the pressure knob is still up after 15 minutes, flip the valve to venting to release any remaining steam. When pressure is released, carefully remove lid. Taste for salt and add if necessary. If mix is still soupy, let sit a few minutes to come together.
- To serve, place about a 1/2 cup of cooked rice in the center of a large shallow bowl. Ladle gumbo over top and garnish with chopped green onion. Serve immediately!
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Cajun, New Orleans
Keywords: Easy Gumbo, Cajun Food, New Orleans Gumbo