Whether you're looking for the perfect St. Patty's Day Recipe, or just an awesome hearty dinner, this Irish Sherpherd's Pie recipe gives you an awesome bite from the Emerald Isle. An awesome recipe that's the perfect bite of meat, potatoes and yummy veggies!
Mashed Potato Topping
- 2 lb russet potatoes
- 4 scallions (diced)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves (lightly crushed)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 tbsp cold butter
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- smoked paprika
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs ground beef or lamb (or a mix of each)
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 oz frozen peas
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp worcestershire
- 2 cloves garlic (diced)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- olive oil (for garnish)
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Peel potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces by cutting potatoes lengthwise then laying down flat and cutting into 1/2 inch half circles. Make sure to keep the pieces as uniform as possible for even cookng.
- Pour one cup of water into Instant Pot . Place trivet in and cover with aluminum foil. Cut a couple slivers in your foil to allow condensation to drop down.
- Place potatoes on top of foil covered trivet .
- Close the lid and set valve to "sealing". Set Instant Pot to high pressure and set timer for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pout half-and-half in a imedium sauce pot and bring up to medium-high heat. While cream is heating, add two sprigs of rosemary and lightly crushed garlic cloves to pot. Add kosher salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Allow sauce to reduce by about 1/3, then reduce to medium low. Continue cooking until sauce is reduced by half, then remove from heat and let rest.
- Now, chop scallings into small, 1/4 inch slices. Heat a small pan over medium high heat. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in the pan and add scallions. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until scallions have softenened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When instant pot is finished, turn the vent and allow steam to release (careful, the steam is hot!). When steam is release and pressure knob goes down, remove teh lid. Check the potatoes, they should be fork tender. Spoon the potatoes into your potato ricer and press through into a large mixing bowl .
- When your potatoes are riced, grab a mesh strainer . Pour your cream through the strainer. If your garlic is tender enough, use the back of a spoon to press it through and into the bowl.
- Add sauteed scallions to bowl.
- Using a flat spatula, mix the potatoes, cream and scallions well. Lift as you whisk briskly, getting air into the potatoes to increase their fluffiness. Next, add knobs of cold butter and egg white to bowl. Continue to mix until fully melted and spread in. The resulting consistency should be just creamy enough that it gently slides off the back of a spoon when you pick it up.
- Preheat a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan and allow to get hot.
- Add ground meat to pan and season with salt and pepper. Break meat up with a spatula into fine pieces. Cook until brown and remove meat from pan.
- Add chopped onions, celery and shredded carrots to pan. Season lightly with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Sweat until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic to pan and cook for 30 seconds while stirring.
- add meat back to pan and toss with veggies. Sprinkle flour over meat and stir so meat and veggie mix is well covered. Cook for 30 seconds or so until flour has browned. Add tomato sauce and stir in well. Cook for two minutes to reduce sauce.
- Add wine to pan, scrapping up the fond (the bits that have cooked until the bottom of the pan).
- Add beef stock, worcestershire sauce and dice rosemary to meat mixture and stir well. Simmer mixture until reduce to a thick sauce, about 12-15 minutes. Add frozen pieces and stir in well, removing from heat.
- While mix rests, preheat your oven to 425°.
- After meat has rested for about five minutes, spread it evenly through teh pan. Spoon mashed potatoes over and gently spread over the top using a spatula or spoon. Spread it evenly and to the edges of the pan. Drizzle olive oil over the top and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place in center of oven and cook at 425° for 16 minutes, or until potatoes have turned a light golden brown.
- Remove Shepherd's Pie from oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Irish
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Irish Recipe, Shepherd's Pie, St. Patrick's Day