A favorite cajun recipe, shrimp and grits is just like the great stuff you can get in the French Quarter!
Shrimp & Sausage Topping
- 24 oz large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 4 tsp Emeril's Original Essence Cajun Seasoning
- 12 oz Raw Andouille Sausage
- olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper (diced)
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic (diced)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups grits
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- smoked paprika
- GRITS: Add salt to water and bring water to boil in a medium sized saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, begin stirring the water clockwise to crease momentum. Slowly pour in the grits while continuing to stir to incorporate in. Lower to medium-low heat and simmer as long as directions on box give, continuing to stir every minute or so. When grits are done, add cream and butter and stir together well. Season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Lower heat to low and keep warm.
- ANDOUILLE: Bring olive oil to heat in large frying pan over medium high heat. Add raw andouille sausage, breaking up with a spatula into small bite size pieces. Continue to cook until sausage is browned. Remove to a pan with paper towel down to absorb access fat.
- SHRIMP: In same pan, add half the shrimp and cook using the circular tip provided above. Remove shrimp to a pan and add a tad bit more olive oil. Then, add remaining shrimp and repeat. Add bell peppers and yellow onion and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Toss in 1 tsp of cajun seasoning and sliced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add chicken broth and reduce in half, about 5 minutes.
- SAUCE: In a small bowl on the side, add cream and a ladle full of chicken broth. Stir together. This will help to keep your cream from breaking. Pour into pan and add chopped parsley and green onion. Simmer 2-3 minutes to reduce slightly. Remove from heat and return sausage and shrimp to the pan. Toss together.
- SERVE: Spoon grits into a large shallow bowl. Top with sausage and shrimp topping, spooning some cream sauce over the top. Serve hot!
- Category: Dinner, Main Course
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: Cajun Recipe, Shrimp and Grits, New Orleans Food