- 6 chicken thighs, with bone and cartilage removed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce.
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup sour cream, left out to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Remove bones from chicken thighs. Season with salt and pepper. Melt 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat in a large, oven safe pan with high sides. Add chicken, making sure not to overcrowd pan (cook in batches if needed). Leave chicken undisturbed for 4 minutes so it develops a nice golden brown sear. Flip over and cook for 3 minutes more before removing to a pan to rest. Repeat until all chicken is cooked and drain excess fat from pan.
- Add diced shallots and garlic to pan and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally and cook until shallots are softened, about 3 minutes. Add paprika, smoked paprika and cayenne and stir together. Continue stirring for one minute to toast spices.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to pan and stir everything together. Bring everything to a simmer and stir again. Remove from heat and return chicken thighs to sauce skin-side-up. Try to keep the skin above the liquid to help keep it crispy. Place pan in center of oven and cook for 35 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, boil egg noodles according to directions on package. Remove to a large bowl and season with a pinch of salt and pepper, remaining butter and all but 1 Tbsp of the chopped parsley. Stir everything together.
- Remove pan from oven and carefully remove chicken to a separate dish. In a side bowl mix together sour cream and one ladle of the sauce from the pan. Stir for 30 seconds to bring to temp, then pour into pan. Return pan to burner over medium heat and cook for another 3 minutes to bring everything together. Stir in remaining freshly chopped parsley along with lemon juice. Remove from heat and let cool one minute before plating.
- To serve, spoon noodles into a large bowl, then ladle sauce overtop. Top with a chicken thigh are garnish fresh a pinch of chopped parsley.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: Hungarian
Keywords: Hungarian, Chicken Pasta, Family Dinner