The perfect southern side dish, bacon and collards cooked to tender perfection.
- 8 strips bacon
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 bunch collard greens, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Place bacon in cold pan, then place on burner and heat to medium. Cook until bacon is browned underneath, then flip and cook until opposite side is browned. Remove bacon to plate with paper towel. When it is cool enough, crumble into small pieces.
- Add onions to pan and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add collard greens to pan and stir around to cover in bacon fat. Season with garlic powder and cook until leaves begin to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and reduce heat to low, covering pot. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Collard greens are done when stems are fully tender. Add crumbled bacon back to pan and stir together. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southern American
Keywords: Collard Greens, BBQ Side Dish, Potluck Recipe