Sous Vide Chicken Thighs delivers a ton of flavor in juicy, succulent chicken with a perfectly crispy skin. Through a bit of technique, you can create a wow-worthy meal from a cheap cut of meat. Learn how to make Sous Vide Chicken thighs with this easy recipe that made me fall in love with Sous Vide Cooking!
- 8 chicken thighs
- 8 garlic cloves (lightly crushed)
- 2 tbsp cold butter (cut into small cubes)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- smoked paprika
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- high-heat oil for searing (I use Avocado)
Sous Vide That Chicken!
- Prep your Sous Vide bath to 150°. Using a boning knife, carefully slide the knife along the bone of the chicken thighs, slicing the meat away from the bone.
- Next, square up the chicken skin, pulling away and cutting off the extra skins that hangs off the side. Season chicken on both sides with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and smoked paprika. Crush garlic cloves and set aside with fresh thyme sprigs.
- Place chicken thighs into a vacuum sealing bag so that the skin side rests flat against the side of the bag. Place the thighs side by side in a single layer, all facing the same way. You want to keep the thighs as flat as possible!
- With the skin side facing down, place a crushed garlic clove on the back (fleshy) side of the chicken thigh, pressing it slightly into the meat.
- Next, carefully flip the bag over, keeping the chicken thighs flat. Place thyme sprigs evenly on the skin side of the chicken. Add diced cold butter throughout bag. This is important, as the butter helps to preserve the chicken as it rests in the fridge.
- Vacuum seal your bag tightly. Place in sous vide bath for 90 minutes. I always drape a side of the bag over the side of my container, to keep the bag from floating into the opening of the circulator. When chicken thighs are almost done cooking, prepare an ice bath in a large mixing bowl .
- Remove chicken from sous vide bath and place directly in ice bath to stop the cooking process. Leave in bath for 5 minutes, then remove and place skin side down on a baking sheet. Place another baking sheet on top, then weigh it down with something heavy to keep the chicken nice and flat. I used a cast iron pan . Place it in the fridge for at least two hours, and up to 3 days. I typically make this chicken a couple days ahead of time.
Sear that chicken!
- Heat a oil in large pan over medium heat. While pan is heating, remove chicken from bag and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place thighs skin side down in pan. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan and cook in batches if necessary. Cook until skin is nice and golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Flip over and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
- If cooking in batches, place cooked thighs in oven on “keep warm” setting while repeating with remaining chicken. Serve immediately once finished.
This is really the best of both worlds. Juicy, garlicy, flavorful chicken with a crispy skin is poultry perfection. But, the best part of this is just how hassle free this is. This is meal prep heaven! I like to make my chicken a couple days in advance of when I need to make a quick meal, then it’s just a quick 5 minute cook on dinner night and they’re ready to go! This is also a favorite for me to prep for my wife when I’m on the road traveling. She simply unpacks the bag, sears and enjoys! So easy!
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sous Vide, Chicken Dinner, Chicken Thighs