Steak cooked using an immersion water circulator to a precise temperature, giving you a super tender, perfectly cooked steak.
- 1 steak, any cut 1/2 thick or larger.
- coarse kosher salt, enough to season all sides
- coarse black pepper, enough to season all sides
- garlic powder, to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, slightly smashed
- chimichurri, optional, for serving
- Fill your sous vide water container up about 2/3 of the way. Set your sous vide water circulator for 131° and allow to come to temperature. Meanwhile, season steak generously on all surfaces with coarse kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper and garlic powder.
- Fold back the top of a sous vide bag. Insert steak in bag place. Slap two sprigs each of fresh rosemary and fresh thyme on your palm twice to help release oils. Place one sprig of rosemary and thyme on each side of the steak. Unfold top of bag and place in a vacuum sealer . Vacuum all air out and seal the bag tightly. Place bag in water bath. Cook for 2 hours.
- Remove steak from bag and set on a cooling rack. Pat dry with a paper towel and let rest for 15 minutes. Patting it dry is a big key to getting a nice, crisp crust on the sear.
- Bring a heat to medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp butter and allow to melt. Lay steak flat in the pan, laying the point closest to you down first and laying it away from you. Press it firmly against the pan to help get a sear. Cook for 30 seconds, then flip over and sear opposite side. Using tongs, hold steak on edge and cook all of the side surfaces for 30 seconds each as well.
- Add remaining butter, fresh rosemary and fresh garlic cloves to pan and repeat process of searing all sides for 30 seconds. This time, brush the rosemary in the butter and over the steak as it cooks. Once each side has been hit for a second 30 seconds, remove to a pan. Let rest 10 minutes.
- To serve, carve each side of the steak off the bone. Slice perpendicular to the bone, about 1 inch thick. If desired, spoon chimichurri over top for extra flavor.
The temperature given above is for a medium-rare cook. For other levels of doneness, consult the chart on on this page.
- Cook Time: 2.5 hours
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Sous Vide
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sous Vide Steak, Perfect Steak Recipe, Medium Rare Steak