- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 2 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken thighs, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 egg white, for egg wash (plus 1 Tbsp water)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- SAUTE VEGGIES: Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add diced onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and stir everything together. Cook about 5 minutes, until mushrooms have release and then absorbed liquid.
- ADD CHICKEN & MIX: Add diced chicken to the pan and season with another pinch of salt and pepper. Stir everything together and continue cooking until no longer pink. Splash in about 1/4 cup of water to deglaze the pan, using your spatula to scrape up the brown bits stuck to the pan. Move to a bowl and allow to cool. Once cool, add shredded pepper jack cheese and stir together.
- STUFF TORTILLAS: Warm tortillas by heating in a microwave for 30 seconds. Once warm, place on a flat surface. Brush edges with egg wash all the way around. Then, spoon two healthy spoonfuls in the center of the tortilla. To wrap, first fold in sides, then wrap tightly by folding the bottom edge over the filling and wrapping tightly. It should resemble a very large cigar. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
- PAN FRY: Add vegetable oil to clean frying pan and heat over medium heat. Place burritos in pan seam side down, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook until bottom side is lightly browned, about a minute. Flip and cook until opposite side is browned. Remove to a lightly greased baking sheet and repeat until all burritos are cooked.
- BAKE: Placed burritos in center of oven and cook for about 12 minutes, until tortillas are lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican Food, Taco Tuesday, Baked Burritos