- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots (or diced carrot sticks)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped green onion, chopped, for garnish
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 8 slices thick cut cooked bacon, crumbled (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Set Instant Pot to Saute: More. When the display reads "Hot", add butter and let melt. Next, add diced onion, shredded carrots and diced celery. Cook about 3 minutes, until softened.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and add diced garlic cloves. Cook 1 more minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, milk and cubed potatoes. Close lid to Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to "Sealing". Cancel Saute mode and set Instant Pot to Manual: High pressure for 10 minutes.
- When timer goes off, perform a quick release by flipping the valve on top to "Venting". When pressure had fully released and indicator knob has gone down, carefully open the lid. Using an immersion blender (see notes for alternatives), blend the soup until smooth and creamy, with some potato chunks remaining.
- Add green onion, shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled cooked bacon. Stir together until well mixed. Ladle into individual bowls and garnish with a pinch each of reserved crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh chives and a dollop of sour cream.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you can still make this work! Simply ladle about half of the hot soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Add back to pot and stir everything back together.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Soup, Potato Soup, Easy Soup Recipes