- fine salt
- cold water
- 12 oz raw curd mozzarella
- 1 tsp mahleb
- 1 tsp black caraway seeds
- PREP WATER BATH: Fill a bowl with two inches of water. Stir in salt. To test salinity, place a raw egg in the water. It should float enough that just a dime sized piece of the egg floats above the water. Fill with two large cups of ice and set aside.
- MELT AND SEASON CHEESE: Break cheese into one inch chunks and place on a microwave safe plate. Heat for 60-90 seconds, just until the cheese has melted down. Remove from microwave and drain off excess liquid. Season with mahleb and black caraway seeds. Fold seasoning in until well blended. Return to microwave and heat on medium heat for another 90 second to 2 minutes until just melted into a blog on the plate. Remove and drain off excess liquid.
- PULL THAT CHEESE! Pick up cheese in one lump and create a whole int he middle. Pull it with both hand so that it's stretches apart. Fold it in and continue pulling apart. While the cheese is warm it will pull very easy. Continue until you can just pull it to shoulder width without a lot of tension. Twist each end in opposite directions for form a knot. Place in ice water bath.
- SOAK CHEESE: If doing more than one knot, repeat until all knots are done and placed in water bath. Add more ice to the bath, cover tightly and place in the fridge at least 3 hours and up to overnight. Remove and place each knot in separate plastic baggies.
- STRING THAT CHEESE: To string cheese, pull apart into long strands. The more you string, the better it will be, so continue until finely strung. Goes great alongside lamb kibbeh or chicken shawarma.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Handmade
- Cuisine: Middle-Eastern
Keywords: Syrian Cheese, String Cheese, Middle Eastern Side Dish