Delicious, easy and oh-so-cheesy. These 2-step CrockPot Cheesy Potatoes make a great recipe for side dishes, parties or potlucks! Just dump it, let the slow cooker work it's magic and enjoy!
👍 Recipe Features
- Seriously delicious. Let's face facts, the best dish at a potluck is a perfectly executed pot of cheesy potatoes. This recipe gives you just that. Wonderfully cheesy, creamy, goey potatoes with full flavor that everyone will love.
- So easy. Dump it and forget about it. Let the crock pot do it's thing for a couple hours, then a quick finishing touch and you're ready to eat!
- Versatile: The base recipe here is for classic cheddar cheese potatoes, but you can definitely build off of them. Look at our varieties section for change-ups that will make mouths say "wow".
Quantities given in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Shredded hash browns - I buy the refrigerated version, which I usually find near the bacon and eggs at my grocery store.
- Sour Cream - the regular, full fat stuff here. This is no time to get stingy.
- Cream of potato soup - Helps to make things creamy while adding in another layer of potato flavor.
- Sharp cheddar cheese - A bag of the shredded stuff works okay here. Add about half in when you start cooking, then the other half at the very end. The second half will half-melt and give you that cheesy pull that everyone loves.
- Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper - A classic savory blend of spices that compliment potatoes well.
- Fresh chives - The fresher, the better. Chop them finely. Like the cheese, add half in at the beginning of the cook and save the other half to garnish it at the end.
Step 1: In a crock pot or other slow cooker, add shredded hash browns, sour cream, cream of potato soup, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and half of the cheddar cheese. Add half the finely chopped chives and mix everything together well.
Set cooker to high and close the lid. Allow 2 hours to cook.
Quick tip: Make cleanup a breeze with crockpot liners . Simply drape them over the pot before starting. When you're done, all you'll need to do is discard the liner and your crock pot is clean! So easy!
Step 2: Switch cooker to "keep warm" setting. Stir in remaining cheddar cheese and give it 15 minutes to thicken up slightly. Garnish with remaining chopped chives.
💭 Top tip
If you're taking these crockpot cheesy potatoes for a potluck, you can make them at home ahead of time . Simply cook them fully according to instructions and place them in the fridge overnight. When you bring them in, have them set to "low" for an hour, then switch to "keep warm" about 15 minutes prior to service.
👉 Oven Option
If you don't have a crockpot, you can make this in the oven as well. Simply combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and spoon into a greased casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook 15-20 minutes more.
Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving. If making ahead of time, you can bake them in a crockpot casserole dish and keep warm until serving.
While I love a good classic dish of crockpot cheesy potatoes, there are several ways to change things up. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Bacon and Gouda: Follow the recipe above with two changes: Sub smoked gouda cheese for cheddar and add in some bacon bits before cooking. You can either go with store bought bacon bits, or cook your own bacon ahead of time and crumble it.
- Loaded Ranch Potato: Again, you can add in some bacon bits before cooking. I prefer Monteray jack cheese for this one, along with a packet of ranch seasoning. Reserve some bacon bits to garnish along with chives at the end.
- Jalapeño Popper Potatoes: Sub cream cheese for sour cream. Remove stems and seeds from 4 fresh jalapeno peppers. Dice peppers and stir in. Keep remaining recipe the saem.
- French Onion Cheesy Potatoes: Prior to cooking, saute onions in a saute pan with a tablespoon of butter. When butter is absorbed, add 1 cup of beef stock and cook until evaporated. Sub the sauteed onions for chives and add to pot. Sub gruyere cheese for cheddar cheese. Sub thyme for onion powder. Otherwise, cook as instructed.
🥙 Serve with...
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Sous Vide Chuck Roast
- Sous Vide Steak
- Muffaletta with Grilled Olive Salad
- Sous Vide Chicken Thighs
- Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin
Dump it in, forget it and enjoy! This recipe for perfect CrockPot Cheesy Potatoes is the perfect potluck recipe - and so easy too! A delicious two step recipe!
- 1 20 oz package shredded hash browns
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10 oz cream of potato soup
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Reserve half the shredded cheddar cheese and chives. Dump all remaining ingredients into a greased crock pot and mix everything together with a large spoon. Cook on high for two hours.
- Switch crock pot to "Keep Warm" 15 minutes prior to serving. Stir in reserved cheese and garnish with remaining chives and serve warm!
- To make this ahead of time for a potluck, simply cook it fully ahead of time and place pot in refrigerator overnight. To reheat, simply place on low for an hour, then back to "Keep Warm" 15 minutes prior to serving.
- Make cleanup a breeze with crockpot liners . Simply drape them over the pot before starting. When you're done, all you'll need to do is discard the liner. So easy!
- If you're taking this in for a potluck, you can make them at home ahead of time. Simply cook them fully according to instructions and place them in the fridge overnight. When you bring them in, have them set to "low" for an hour before, then switch to "keep warm" about 15 minutes prior to service.
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Potluck Recipe, Cheesy Potatoes, Side Dish Recipe